The VCU Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology boasts a prestigious educational and research record. Faculty members have received numerous awards for their teaching and research and the department is ranked in the top thirteen of NIH-funded pharmacology and toxicology programs.
More than 250 scholars have earned their Ph.D.s from our department since 1953. Our students have won national and state awards for their research excellence. Other highlights of our program include:
- The department is nationally recognized for its research in alcohol and drug abuse, cancer pharmacology, cardiovascular and gastrointestinal pharmacology.
- All doctoral students are supported with competitive stipends, tuition and health insurance..
- Students may pursue their degree in a specific discipline or construct their own interdisciplinary approach with available advanced courses.
- Our graduates have gone on to distinguished careers in government, academia and the private sector.
- VCU is a premier urban university with excellent rankings and programs.
- Richmond is an exciting, fun-filled city with lots to see and do outside the classroom. It offers:
- Close proximity to the mountains, beach and Washington, D.C.
- Diverse and unique restaurants
- Exciting nightlife, including dancing, outdoor events and concerts
- Exposure to the arts, including a new performing arts center and national museums
- Affordable housing
- Newly renovated international airport 10 minutes from downtown